Rifles and Shotguns
- Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
- Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
- Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
- Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
- Permit to purchase handgun? No
- Registration of handguns? No
- Licensing of owners of handguns? No
- Permit to carry handguns? Yes
It is unlawful to sell, give, lend or deliver a handgun to any person under 18, or to a person whom the seller has reasonable cause to believe has been convicted of a crime of violence, is a drug addict, a habitual drunkard, or of unsound mind.
- No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.
- Law enforcement authorities have advised that minors cannot carry or possess a handgun.
- It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession, or on his person, or in any vehicle any firearm while participating in or attending any demonstration being held at a public place, or within 1,000 feet of a demonstration after being warned by a police officer.
- It is unlawful to possess, sell, or use a short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun.
- It is unlawful to carry a concealed pistol, firearm, or airgun without a permit.
- It is unlawful to carry a rifle or shotgun walking cane.
- No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own home or fixed place of business, without a license.
- Exempt from this prohibition are law enforcement officers, common carriers, and persons carrying unloaded handguns in a secure wrapper from a place of purchase to one’s home or business, or to or from a place of repair, or in moving from one home or business to another.
A license to conceal carry firearms does not authorize any person to carry a concealed firearm into:
- Any airport, courthouse or any other public building that specifically prohibits firearms.
- Any city, state and federal facilities.
- Any public gatherings such as sporting events, political events, parades, etc.
The sheriff of a county may, upon the application of any person residing In that county, issue a qualified or unlimited license to carry a handgun in a vehicle or concealed on or about one's person for not more than one year if the applicant:
- Is 21 years of age.
- Has good reason to fear injury to his person or property.
- Has any other proper reason for carrying a handgun.
- "Is a suitable person" to be so licensed.
The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the license holder is "not a proper person to be licensed." The fee for a license varies, depending on the county.
A person who is not a resident of Alabama and who is licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect in that state to a license issued under the laws of Alabama shall be authorized to carry a handgun in Alabama. Such a person shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of Alabama.
Antiques and Replicas:
Handguns possessed as curiosities or ornaments are exempt from the provisions on purchase, possession, or sale. Such handguns may be transported unloaded and in a bag, box, or securely wrapped package, but not concealed on the person. The same provisions apply to handguns, rifles, or shotguns made in or before 1898, or to blackpowder replicas not made to fire fixed ammunition.
No county or municipal corporation or its political subdivision shall regulate in any manner gun shows, the possession, ownership, transport, carrying, transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, registration or use of firearms, ammunition, components of firearms, firearms dealers, or dealers in firearm components.
- It is unlawful to change or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer’s number, or other mark or identification of any firearm. It is unlawful to possess, sell or use such a firearm.
- It is unlawful to make any loan secured by a mortgage, deposit, or pledge of a handgun.
- It is unlawful to supply false information or evidence in purchasing or otherwise securing delivery of a pistol, or in applying for a license to carry a handgun.
- It is unlawful to possess or sell brass or steel teflon-coated handgun ammunition, or any ammunition of like kind designed to penetrate bulletproof vests. This prohibition does not apply to teflon-coated lead or brass ammunition designed to expand upon contact.
- It is unlawful to carry or possess any firearm within any wildlife management area without a "permit allowing this privilege."
- It is a misdemeanor to hunt with a center-fire rifle, a shotgun using a slug or shot larger in diameter than standard four shot, or a .40 caliber or larger muzzle-loading rifle, within 50 yards of a public road, public highway, or railroad by anyone other than the landowner or his or her immediate family.
- It is unlawful to discharge any firearm upon or across any public road, public highway or railroad.